For pet owners, one of the challenges of going on vacation is finding appropriate care for your critters while you’re out of town. Owners of small animals like guinea pigs have an especially difficult time. While dog and cat owners have kennels, and even their veterinarians, to choose from for vacation care, these places typically don’t have the space, resources, or experience to handle guinea pigs.
February 12, 2014–Vacation care is currently unavailable. Please see the January 2014 item titled “Update Regarding Adoptions & Surrenders” on our Rescue News page.
What To Do?
The Critter Connection, Inc. offers guinea pig sitting at our Durham, Connecticut, location while you are on vacation. This way, you can relax and enjoy your vacation knowing your piggies are in good hands. You supply the guinea pig(s) and their food pellets; we supply the cage, bedding, hay, veggies, and fruit.
The cost is:
- $9.00/day for one pig
- $12.00/day for two pigs (same cage)
- Additional $3.00 per pig per day for three or more pigs (same cage)
Space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. It is best to book early as space fills up quickly during peak vacation times (e.g., school summer vacation, Thanksgiving weekend, school spring vacation, Easter weekend, and the Christmas/New Year’s holiday week).
The following policies are in effect for vacation boarding:
- You must schedule a date and time for drop-off and pick-up. Saturdays are generally preferred. Other arrangements can be made with Cindy when necessary.
- Please treat drop-off and pick-up times as you would any other appointment. Call if you’re running late. “Appointment windows” of several hours cannot be accommodated. We juggle various types of appointments, and do our best to schedule them so that you have our undivided attention when you arrive.
- All guinea pigs must be transported in an appropriate carrier.
- If you book a reservation for vacation boarding, and then turn out not to need it, please e-mail us as soon as you know so that your spot can be given to someone else.
- Boarders who have not adopted from us are required to pay 50% of their total boarding fee at the time of drop-off, or before. If paying at the time of drop-off, the deposit must be paid in cash. If paying before drop-off, deposits can be made via PayPal.
For more information, or to make boarding arrangements, please e-mail Cindy.